If you’re not familiar with #tourismchat, a biweekly twitter chat focusing on social media in the tourism industry, check out this Q&A post from Sarah Page.
The July 29 #tourismchat focused on mobile apps but also included a good amount of information on Foursquare. You can read the entire chat transcript or just check out these highlights:
- Many believe that creating a mobile website is more important than creating an app
- People that regularly use social media are more inclined to use twitter or other networks/apps when they travel instead of downloading a new CVB app for the destination
- Some CVBs that already have a mobile app: Memphis, TN; Holland; Fort Lauderdale, FL; Boston, MA; Lansing, MI
- Everyone, especially smaller or more rural CVBs, should take advantage of APIs / apps that are already available such as Yelp, Google Maps, Urbanspoon and Foursquare
- Even though Foursquare has been around for a while now, there are still many CVBs that have yet to take advantage of it
If you’re interested in learning more about Foursquare, read my post about #geekcation, VisitPA on Foursquare and tips or check out the funny and enlightening Betsy Decillis and her Foursquare post.
The next tourismchat is on August 12 and will cover Niche SoMe Marketing.